Friday, September 26, 2008

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad, Day

...More like afternoon...
The day started out rather well and I was getting so much accomplished: clothes washed, dishes started (there's no electric dishwasher in our home), kids actually took naps, vacuum was ready and waiting (Bryant's chore after school) and since all was so well and we would be having a visitor for the night (my nephew) I thought I would treat the kids to yummy bars (recipe at the end of post).
I made the batch quickly and easily and then I wanted to get the chocolate chips and butterscoth chips to melt quicker since it cooled faster than usual, so I turned on the oven to broil and stuck the yummy bars into the cold oven to just warm while I took one load of laundry out of the dryer...it would be perfect timing.
Well, I got some of the laundry out and then realized that since I had Lydia attached in her Moby Wrap that I couldn't bend over (it always wakes her up and she JUST feel asleep for the first time) so I called for Bryant's help to get the remaining clothes out of the dryer...I assisted a little and then was on a roll and started putting another load in the washer when I realized that there was an awfully strong burn smell...memory finally caught up and I went into the kitchen and saw the most smoke I have ever seen...immediately I pray there is not a fire, I open the oven door and of course there is a fire and it started to get bigger because I had opened the blasted door! I shout out that I have no idea how to put out a fire and immediately wish I had a bunch of water to use, but since I didn't I went for the fire extinguisher and got it out. That stuff hurts the lungs and makes the smoke even worse! Lydia is still in her wrap so I'm most worried about not getting her burnt and just getting the fire out... I opened the back door to let the smoke out and shout for Bryant to open the front door for super ventalation (not the greatest in a basement apartment)...all the while the 3 kids are watching Santa Clause and at the same time are watching him burn the turkey.
The neighbor even came to check on me, she noticed a lot of smoke...looking back I should have asked for her help instead of insisting that we were okay...I was totally lying to her!
I choked incredibly on the stuff and went back in to find more smoke and another fire...yeah! duh!!! I didn't turn off the dang oven OR take the culprit out...I had to extinguish the fire AGAIN (the stuff burns the throat) and then hold my breathe to be able to get the pan out. I shouted for the kids to go outside as is...no shoes and let the smoke leave the house...about 1/2 hour later the house STUNK!!!!! and all my laundry has to be rewashed as does everyone's bedding and the kitchen has to be washed ceiling to floor!
At this time I am so shaken I call Jake at work and inform him of my major mistake and then take the kids to get the mail and play outside while my mind reels with ideas for dinner and how to clean the awful mess...we jumped on the neighbors trampoline for a little while until Sarah tweeked her knee...she couldn't even walk, so I have Lydia in her wrap and I'm trying to carry Sarah in the house and keep the kids out of the kitchen and figure what to have for dinner and how we are going to entertain my nephew...then we see hobo's through the house, I must have smoked them out of the kitchen...what a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day!!!
I'm still so mad it's not even cleaned up yet!

Non-burnt version of Yummy Bars
1 c. peanut butter
1 c. karo syrup
1 c. sugar
Put all in a pan and stir together until warmed and completely smooth, almost boiling...do not let it boil and stir often or it will burn at the bottom of the pan.

Mix in with 6 c. rice krispies and spread into a cookie sheet.
Top with 1 c. chocolate chips and 1 c. butterscotch chips, melt slightly to spread over the entire treat-hence the reason to put in the oven for a few minutes.

Cut and enjoy!!

3 comments:

Kimber said...

Good book to read . . terrible to live a day like that!

You know, everytime I try to broil garlic bread I end up with a kitchen full of smoke to (not quite fire) and it is usually because of laundry as well. Now I have resorted to having a kid stand at the oven looking in and hollering at me when it starts to brown.

Sorry about the kitchen, wow that has to be quite a mess. I'm so glad Jake offered to step in a little. He is great!

The JL McGregor Family said...

I'm so sorry! Not really what you needed, eh? All from such a common mistake. It'll be a memory to tell your kids... and hopefully we will all learn from it!

Russ & Katie Ward said...

Terressa!
Ok so I read your blog and then layed in bed that night thinking about your bad day...sad that it all happened! My advice on a day like that: EAT ICE CREAM. It always makes you feel better! hehe :)
Anyway, I was just thinkin' of ya so I thought I'd say hi! Talk to you soon!