Saturday, June 28, 2008

Reminicing Fun...

I've been officially tagged by my friend Lisa and find this tag to actually be a little fun and hopefully interesting :) Hope you enjoy the read as much as I enjoy remembering the times (some longer than others).

20 Years Ago (1988): I was 7 and loved playing at my grandma's house (she only lived a couple miles down the road and we would do there almost daily) with my aunt and uncle who are within two years of age as I am as well as my other 3 siblings. We would play house, dressup, hotel, restaurant, make forts, whatever we could think of-inside or out. I loved being in charge and setting up the game and the rules and telling everyone else what to do (I realize that now). I admired especially my aunt-she was the oldest and could bring in some fun alterations to the games.

10 Years Ago (1998): I was in the summer prior to my senior year in high school and thought I was on cloud nine. I had been elected the Student Body Secretary (by default, no one else ran) and was totally in my element of organizing and getting things ready for registration days and all the summer activities we did. I worked at Albertson's for a neighbor and enjoyed doing the odd jobs I was assigned. I kept busy "nannying" the neighbor kids and loved it-everyday! I was the Laurel president with a leader that was new to YW's-she had joined the church later in life and never experienced it, so I was involved with a lot more because she would ask my advice a lot. I loved being so busy.

5 Years Ago (2003): Jake and I had been married almost two years and I was in school trying to finish my last two semesters of college and do my student teaching to get my degree in Health Education and Physical Education. Bryant was in his first year (he had been born the previous December the week before finals) and the cutest baby ever-we lived close to family who was so willing to help out. Jake had begun working nights and was trying to go to school himself, so Bryant learned at a young age to love people. It was a hard year, looking back, it was not one of the most enjoyable years of our marriage-things were really hard trying to balance everything, there were of course fun times, but the days were long and hard -- trying to learn to be a mom, trying to finish being a student, trying to be a good wife-honestly, not a favorite memory of mine-it was quite honestly (to this point in life) one of the hardest years I have ever experienced. I would not want to relive that year, but I would not change it either. However, I got through and finished my student teaching that fall. When right after Bryant's first year birthday we moved to an apartment property to begin our first ever managing position for a local couple who were so kind to us-we loved that managing position!

3 Years Ago (2005): Kayelynn entered our family in February and we were actually just starting a new managing position at one of the largest apartment properties in town. Jake was working full-time at the hospital and taking a break from school. Our lives changed quickly this year...we began a very small managing position in the spring and then moved to the large property by July into a temporary home for 6 weeks and then to the assistant manager home (which is what we were, only having to work 4 hours a day) and by September we moved to the managers home as the manager had resigned after just 6 weeks. By October the company we worked for changed dramatically and we were offered a full-time, literally (8-hour days) for me to work in the office and to lose a bedroom of our home (which was non-negotiable) to expand the office and was trying to train a new assistant manager (I had only worked there two to three months) by November which luckily turned out to be my sister-in-law. We took it, possibly against our better judgement, but we survived. And by Christmas of that year we discovered that we were expecting our darling princess Sarah (surprise)!

One Year Ago (2007): We were still managing, but had moved in January to a different property with a larger home and more space to breathe and somewhat enjoy life. Jake was starting the LPN program in Idaho Falls and was really enjoying it. I was learning patience and acceptance of the Lord's will and time frame in my life-sometimes being a planner is not the best option when you cannot control your own life-so I learned. Bryant was starting preschool and loving it. Kayelynn was just blossoming daily and Sarah was becoming a toddler overnight! We found out just before Thanksgiving that we were expecting #4-not a surprise, but definately an increase in anxiety as we were trying to figure out how to survive and what to do when Jake graduated.

This Year So Far (2008): WHOA!! I think this has been our most eventful year of marriage (thus far). In January it was clear that to keep our sanity and our marriage in accordance with our beliefs and covenants we should retire from managing and learn to be a family as we are intended to be. The first of February we moved to the smallest basement apartment (for a family of 5, going on 6) with the largest amount of crap known to man! The second week of February I had surgery that was very emotional and disappointing. We were blessed beyond comprehension with service from family in EVERYTHING! Jake continued to work nights on the weekends and to go to school full-time. I started to learn (and still am learning) to be a mom and understand the actual day-in and day-out of full-time momminess. In May Jake graduated from EITC with his LPN certificate. Bryant and Sarah had surgery to get their tonsils and adnoids out (thankfully)-not the most exciting adventure, but again we were blessed by the service of family. May and June were the months of daily/hourly on our knees prayer for survival of the family and that Jake would get the job he was offered in March. In June Jake took his NCLEX test to certify as an official LPN and we found out a week later that he passed!!!!!! Jake took a new job the middle of June for the company that had offered him a job in March with awesome benefits and the chance to come out of the student poverty level.

Yesterday: We spent the day as a family just hanging out in Idaho Falls to get everything settled with Jake's new job. Jake received his official documentation for his LPN and worked his last night at the hospital. I did water aerobics and felt awesome! The kids actually went to bed totally tuckered out! :)

Today: I am doing laundry and getting things finalized on my "nesting" list (as Jake calls it) before the baby comes. We are trying to be quiet so Jake can get sleep from working last night. I am also trying to figure out a name for this child...nothing I think of settles with the kids or with Jake...she may just be a nameless baby, the first in history ;) I am also trying to get some school classes finished as I only have two weeks more before I have to be done!!

Tomorrow: I hope to keep my sanity as I take the children to church by myself since Jake will be working. I intend to keep the spirit in our home longer than an hour I also hope to get this baby here-I would love to have a June baby!!

In the next year: I hope to have figured out how momminess is intended to be. I hope to have moved to a larger home with a yard the kids can enjoy. I hope to have more patience with my children and to help Bryant and Kayelynn understand the things they will be learning in kindergarten and preschool. I hope to help Sarah and no name baby be confident and happy children and follow in the righteous footsteps of their siblings. I hope to develop a stronger relationship with my in-laws and my Father in Heaven.

I don't usually tag, but I'm going to break tradition and tag Jen McG., Julia M. and Rachel P. -old roommates from college, what reminiscing times :)

6 comments:

www.thesinglelifeofastudentwife.blogspot.com said...

That was a great blog--I think I'm going to have to do that on mine...oh and thanks for the layout help...I copied you...it was the only one that I could keep my white font from my last layout without having to change EVERY post into black ink!

The JL McGregor Family said...

Oh, fun to read, and I've never been tagged, so I'll have to do this!

Anonymous said...

You have the cutest family ever. I found you off of TIffany R. blog. was just thinking about you yesterday.. and where you are. you have the cutest kids and congrats on the new job. Steve and i are moving to IF in 3 weeks and I would love to see you. I know this is probably not the best way to get a hold of you (posting a comment on your blog) but i dont know how else. good luck on the new baby. I would love you bring you dinner... email me if you get a chance. lindsey81@hotmail.com
love,
Lindsey Smith (Steineckert)

Hokie Family said...

hey cute girl!
I must be stupid cause I just noticed the floating #4 baby on the way. Congrats! Sound exciting and busy. Super Woman!
Heather

The Prices said...

Oh dear! I've been tagged! I've never been tagged! good thing I got your blog address again or I may never have known. check my blog in a couple days and hopefully I'll have completed my assignment. good luck with baby!

Lisa said...

That was great and so fun to read! You are so busy and so amazing that you handle so much. Can't wait to hear about baby!! :)