This has been a rollar coaster week and it's only Wednesday. I think it's been the hardest for me...my parents left Monday, and anytime they come I am so excited that when they leave I get major homesickness and want them to come right back...even the kids, especially Sarah keeps asking where they are.
Kayelynn and Bryant finished attending school in Rexburg today. It was bittersweet. Kayelynn absolutely ADORES her amazing teacher and it will be tough for both of us not to be going to preschool. I found one here in I.F., but it's up in the foothills, about a 20 minute drive on dry roads, so I don't think I will be taking her. I have mixed emotions on that one, but the gut says no. Bryant has Parent/Teacher Conference tomorrow, so we did that after school today so I would have to drive a half hour for a 10 minute conference. He is doing amazing and his teacher is so great. She couldn't stop telling me how much she will miss him...even the student teacher said that...it just makes a mom's heart swell to hear that your child is liked by his teacher. I still have MAJOR anxiety about taking him to his new school tomorrow, but I really think it's all me-he can't stop talking about how fun it will be...we'll see.
I just keep on going so the kids can feel and see my excitement so they don't change their minds on the greatness of this move!!
I had 4 hours to kill between Kayelynn's preschool and Bryant's Kindergarten and didn't have anywhere to really kill th time, so we decided to visit good ol' DI before taking Bryant to kindergarten. I told the kids we weren't buying anyhing we were only looking to pass time...they didn't care as long as they could "look" at the toys. We went to the very back outdoor section where they have all the 'big' items and I noticed a toy kitchen without a price tag. Side note, I hate that-I really don't like to look for an associate to ask for the price when they usually don't know what it is and then it takes 5 more minutes just to out a price and it's usually more than you think it should be. Anyway, today I felt like asking-I had time. The associate came over and put a $4 tag on it...not bad, but I only had $2 on hand and I had told myself if I found anything I wouldn't spend more than the cash in my pocket. Bryant asked me in front of the associate if that was a good price-I told him it was, but that I only had $2...the associate started telling me something and then got interrupted so we walked into the store-it was getting cold in the 10 degree windy weather.
About 2 minutes later that same associate came and found me inside the store and told me that they were actually going to throw that item away as well as another tiny item we had asked a price on and that he could cut me a deal-okay, when have you EVER heard of the DI "making a deal", sorry small tangent. I asked him how much-while noting in my head that I knew he had heard me say how much I had on hand. He told me he could give me both items for $1!!! Um, OF COURSE!! I don't "need" a toy kitchen, but a $100 item, donated, and then sold for $1 is a pretty good deal if I do say so myself. (In case you don't know, I thrive on bargains and deals-I was in heaven, I kind of felt like I was in Boise at the quarter sale, except that I wasn't finding amazing clothing for my kids-orry another tangent). Then I caved and let Bryant get a toy, only a quarter, but still, I went against my original plan, but I'm okay with it!! (if I had my digital I would take a picture of my prize, but for now you will just have to imagine whatever kind of kitchen you can :D).
By the way, I think that I figured something out...anything without a price tag is going to be thrown away, so don't hesitate to ask, it will usually get priced much lower than if it just came it...he informed me that it's because they get so many of them they have to keep rotating them and if it doesn't sell they throw it out! WHAT?!?! To a bargain hunter/frugalist that is just horrible!
It's been a bittersweet day and I don't know if I should be smiling or finding corner for a good cry. Tomorrow will be a new adventure for all of us and I'm sure I'll share :D
5 years ago













4 comments:
LOVE it! Way to go on the super deal!! And thanks for the tip for DI shopping! :)
What an AMAZING deal! That's awesome. I guess DI does have it's perks :)
that is amazing...i wish i were more frugal and patient to find deals like that.
YAY! And you have a big house to put that kitchen in. Double YAY YAY! Good luck with the new school.
Post a Comment