Lately, I have been really trying to get into the Spirit of Christmas without focusing too much on the "woo is me"...I have learned that although life is not how you appreciate it at the moment in time that you are in, there could be worse things.
I have a dear friend that has discovered her 2nd oldest daughter has an aggresive form of cancer although they do not know what kind-reality moment #1.
I have a close family member that has to live the week without her husband (he is working in a different state) while she is 8 months pregnant with #2 and is trying to rent her current home and keep a happy face-reality moment #2.
I have another dear friend that is building their own home (have been for about a year) and her husband has been diagnosed with a disease that is disabling him from being able to help on the home as we cannot walk well without pain, let alone wrestle with his sons, build a home, etc.-reality moment #3.
I attended a girls' night out last night with some dear friends and had a great time...we were able to take dinner to {reality moment #1} and gather at another friends house for food and women talk-it was just what I needed. I have been having a hard time accepting the fact that I get invited to this girls' night each month when I have nothing in common with these women beyond the fact that I am a mother like most of them. I have nothing to measure my successes in comparison to them, but last night something clicked that made me realize that although I may never feel comfortable going (I am not up-to-date on fashion, politics, technology, have any money or am intelligent with words) I will always learn something and rekindle the feeling of sisterhood. It has been a long time coming for me to accept this. I attend quite faithfully, but I have never felt that all these women would consider ME their friend...I would consider every one of them mine in a heart-beat, but I have always felt that they either pity me, or tolerate me...I am quite the odd duck. Last night, something happened to me-I don't know what, but I felt a true sisterhood and kinship with everyone there and even the ones that weren't able to attend...maybe it was the service we all did, maybe it was that I could actually be part of intelligent conversations, or maybe it's because I finally realized the my prayers were being answered right in front of my face and I had to accept it!! Prayers are answered, but I am too pessimistic to see that my prayers are answered daily in small ways-reality moment #4.
For some strange reason we have been chosen to be the recipients of the 12-days of Christmas this year, and it warms my heart that someone would think of my family and share the meaning of Christmas with my children in a way I never could. I have enjoyed being able to explain the true meaning of Christmas and have my children understand the concept and the reason of the season all the while getting excited that the 12-days of Christmas would include them-they have realized there is someone out there that loves us and we do not have to know who it is or what they might drop off each night-reality moment #5.
Reality is in front me and I need to live in these moments and not plan so much for the moments to come or for the moments to get better...I need to take my own advice "you get what you get and you don't throw and fit"!!
5 years ago













6 comments:
terressa, what beautiful comments...i think we all get caught up sometimes and take things for granted and don't realize that our prayers are answered. thank you for your enlightening perspective. i hope you and your family have a very merry christmas!
Hey Terressa, Thanks for all your comments. We're no able to go to Rexburg :(
Oscar's sister is coming to Utah on Dec 26th... But... If you guys are planning to come to Utah, We'll love to see you all!
Teressa, I think you are "AMAZING" and I count myself lucky to know you and have you for a friend!
I'm so SAD I missed Bunco, we all had the flu:(
I appreciate your post it helps me put things in a better perspective today.
MERRY CHRISTMAS to YOU and your FAMILY!!!
Thank you so much for this post. You just put to words the same feelings I've had. Thank you. And thank you for the reality check.
Honestly, I wish we'd gotten to know eachother better than just when we were working!
This is beautifully worded. I have also had times when I have felt this way--I think we all do. We are blessed in so many ways. I would love to be in your girls-night-out group!
Thanks for the post. It was well written. This past week with all the things that have been going on with my mom, my reality check was to accept service. It is so easy to serve and I of course do it gladly, but it is another story to accept it. So hard to do but so necessary, as I have learned.
Post a Comment