5 years ago
Saturday, May 3, 2008
A little spackle for the cracks.
OK,Ok,ok, I'll take some time to fill a few of the gaps so left by the dutchess. I did get off the plane the morning of our meeting, 11 hours give or take a few minutes. I slightly remember meeting this girl, given that I was still set apart as Elder Thornock, I didn't ensue anything. I actually thought I would need another person to be with me if I dropped by. Funny how it is though, upon arriving home I was ensued by a few others. For those of you who don't know the family at all, my mother Jodi is founder of Little Academy Daycare, (whose now sold and shattered remains cannot compair to the love and devotion children once felt there) and as such employed 11 or so mostly single loving future mothers who were making a living while attending Ricks. One of them happened to catch my friendship and talked me into swimming that Friday with her and some of the ward. My wife's friend came also and I began to see the diverse weaving of college friendships. I'll admit that while Terressa was working on her chemistry I dated, flirted and almost courted a few ladies. Whether it be daughters of international insurance salesmen, long time friends whom whole heartily conversed via letters while overseas, or an attractive 30 something with her two kids, nothing felt right or settled until five months later, this "sportively" dressed girl happened in to a subtle attempt at a getting her Friend to go on a date, caused a distraction to my eye and a stir in my heart. I soon dropped "with care" other potential interests and set a more focused attempt to get to know this creature whom occupied my mind. For the record, only one girl in the mission prep class out of the two actually going on missions didn't know or care for me. The dutchess was a hard one to study almost like she was annoyed at my pursuit. Avoiding my advances, hm mm? that's not the right word, but I'll use it to show my determination to get to know her. It was pretty obvious that we were meant to be without the need to have kiss the girl playing in the background often as we talked. To be honest and open about getting her to sit next to me in the truck, that was an attempt to break down barriers more than anything else. I did work though:) Asking her father's blessing on my proposal was like tracking a bull elk through Idaho wilderness. Just when your ready to get at it, he's gone. Terressa's father Alan, is a man led by the spirit and knows a few things about "hunters". I believe he wasn't ready for this guy to come in and say "Hey, I'm Jake. Please let me steal your daughter away from you." To show the real protection and guidance he gives his children, one day during this excursion I dropped Terressa off at his work and waited while they had a "talk" discussing living and children and education....all of the things a father worries about. Believe me, I have two girls with a third on the way and already worry about them being supported in this world of long haired, swayed by peer trends, disrespecting boys. In my waiting I built up a huge fear about asking him as the real purpose was to ask him this day. I didn't get the chance to that day and if it were not for my mother in law and wife's urgency to get dressed and chase him out back at 6AM, I would of missed the opportunity to ask all together. He was very serious, asked all the questions about supporting, providing, where we would live, etc...and then he admitted defeat by saying "I guess that's OK then". What was a few days of warming up and a few minutes (that seemed like hours), ended up being one of the most influential decisions decisions I'll have ever made. Then on to the engagement. I had many opportunities to ask Terressa to marry me when the moment and all time seamed to stop and wait for me. If grandma Karen had not threatened to beat me if she couldn't be there, I would of popped the question first on the side of the Taylor chapel at sunset, after a "thingy" we were at. She was beautiful and glowing, the light made her eyes glow with entrancing captivity. My heart was full and and all the heavens seemed to hold their breath waiting for that question to be asked. I can still feel that moment when I reflect on it. Sorry Audi, for choosing the public display over then, however now you felt the moment too know how it was for me. The dance was the only choice I had left and I was going crazy. My mom knew that the day was here and asked if I was OK. I am thankful her for the concern or Terressa would of known my expressions right off. First dinner, then the drop her off at the dance. I wanted he to get the night off and others were to keep her there. It almost broke when they caved and said she could go. Thank you for staying there dear. My brother was going to help me with the delivery since I helped him with his. I was supposed to surprise her at work by showing up, convince her to dance with me before the "last fifteen minutes" I was to get the spotlight on us, with the music playing, press send on the phone to signal him to call me back, (this didn't work since the MC building is solid as a rock and phone reception is nilch) he was going to tell her to look on the back of the phone and there she would see the ring, I would fall to one knee. My friend would hand me the mic, and I would deliver my proposal, (I had a poem in my head at that time). What happened was, no returned call, hands sweating, room staring, people waiting, me grabbing the phone thus breaking our dance, pretending to answer and handing it to her. She couldn't get the response and then I said, turn it over and check the battery, she missed the ring cause she was covering it with her finger, (I thought all women could sense jewelry)and had to look again. I almost knelt the first time but she was so quick at giving it back. Then the DJ found a corded mic and didn't have enough line to reach our spot so I couldn't let everyone hear me. I dropped the poem by that point since it sounded odd and all in shambles from violently whirling throughout my mind. It was a good planned day and all were happy. The funniest part was Terressa looking around and saying why are all the ticket ladies watching? I think she knew it was going to happen and hoped it wouldn't if she ignored it. She said Yes, I twirled her and repeated so the crowd would feed us their energy, (as if we weren't shaking already) We called her parents and celebrated by showing everyone. All the details from then on are for her to divulge and I will patch more holes as needed. Interesting to look back and see a different view of things. Thanks for taking the time to read. Big Jake
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













2 comments:
Jake you need to be a writer I was totally seeing this happen! Oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE "LOVE" stories!! Thanks for sharing! I dont think I ever new how you guys met and all that! SWEET
I love the stories!!! SO SWEET!
Post a Comment