Well, I went in today for my 28 week appointment and it was the dreaded glucose/gestational diabetes test. This pregnancy has been so weird. I stressed over surgery and got through it, losing weight, but being okay. I have not had much of an appetite with this pregnancy, which was weird and have begun to think that she just might be one of my smaller children (not that I would know how to hold or handle a baby under 8.5 pounds ;)).
At my ultrasound (a month ago) I had finally passed my starting weight by 4 pounds. My last appointment I went in because I had been sick for 6 days and couldn't get rid of the cough and cold symtpoms and had still actually gained a few pounds even though I was sick-another 2 pounds. Then my appointment today, I have not been tested for gestational diabetes since Bryant so I forgot how nasty the syrup tasted-I hurried and drank it and felt like I wanted to throw up afterward, disgusting! I did the routine and got on the scale to discover that I had gained 6 pounds in two weeks!!! HOLY COW! My first sign that the results of this test might not be in my favor. The midwife comes in and declares that I need to come in by the end of the week for a 3-hour fasting test for an official gestational diabetes screening! I was 13 points above the maximum.
I have only heard of this disease and have thought that I have been ever so lucky to not encounter this-oh did I curse myself. The midwife then began to explain what the "treatment" was to this only-harmful-to-the-baby disease...in a nut shell, DON'T EAT ANYTHING WHITE! Um, only my favorite foods; bread, bananas, chips, cereal, grapes, yogurt, dessert (which I love to make and eat), etc. She also tells me that even if I pass the test on Friday she would still like me to take on this diet to avoid having a baby over 10 pounds...all I could say was that I had survived my last delivery, I could do it again...she wasn't impressed.
So, I'm a little bitter that I have to give up ALL of my favorite foods for the next 2 1/2-3 months, but I know that I do not want to intentionally harm my child before it's even born, so I will be using some MAJOR self-control during the picnic season to have a healthy and somewhat small(er) child. To any of you that are local and read this, I will apologize now that I am sorry if I am grumpy from now until the baby is born...it will mostly be because I have to give up food that I really enjoy, sorry.
So, I will be testing on Friday morning to see if I am truly in the gestational diabetes group or if I am just being punished for having big babies ;) I'll let you know. However, if any of you have experienced gestational diabetes I will take any advice or menu options that you might have!
5 years ago













4 comments:
Hey Terresa- Becky my sister had to go through this same thing, it all worked out, she actually had the baby almost a month early, and she never did get the diabetes. Man, Im sorry! We will pray for ya!!
I'm so sorry. I don't know what else to say, except that I have a friend who just had the same experience and she found a great book that helped her understand what was going on. I'll get back to you on the title of it. (Not that you have oodles of time to read it, eh?)
I had to do that when I had Karissa. It isn't ton of but you don't have to worry about it for to long. You will be better after you have the baby. It is a lttle stressful. Oh I don't have your email. Mines julshomer@hotamil.com Love Ya!!!
Wow, that does not sound fun..I'm sorry! That sounds nearly impossible..especially with pregnant cravings! But you can do it, and look on the bright side- you will be super healthy!!
Post a Comment