Saturday, July 18, 2009

When it rains...it pours...

Now that I've had a few days to cool down my emotions I think I can share a little of the seriousness happening in our lives.

As you know we were asked back in January to move to Idaho Falls and help our current landlord with her house. We entered into a verbal contract and moved in the first part of February. With the economy as it is, things have been difficult on hers and our end; namely money. A few months into the rental she informed us that her mortgage payment had been raised significantly. At that time we informed her we were sorting things out to hopefully purchase the property within a year. We were all on equal and understanding terms, we thought.
On Wednesday she came over and informed us of her unhappiness with our progress on the house and that finances are too tight on her end for us to stay and and verbally terminated her end of our verbal agreement, informing us that we would need to move out at the end of the month-2 weeks notice!!

I have already started packing, but have since pretty much run out of boxes so my progress has stopped. We are now looking for a place to live, boxes to pack and hopefully not disappoint the ward that we both have big responsibilities in (anyone from the ward reading this, please DO NOT pass this on, we still have people to contact with this information)!!!

Back in 2004, a similar incident happened. We were managing our first set of apartments and had a large waiting list for the coming fall, when the new owner of 6 weeks called us and informed us that his daughter was getting married and would be managing the apartments in one month! I was to be at girls' camp the next morning and we had just found out we were expecting Kayelynn and had verbally commited to a year of managing!
The similarities are so striking! We are 10 weeks into a new pregnancy (of which our current landlord does not know, nor do we intend to tell her before we move)-I know there may be negative opinions about this, please let me remind you that it is between us and that any and all jokes or comments (now or ever) will not be taken lightly-as always this has been hard to disclose-if we could hide it, we would-I'm now off my soapbox, we had commited to staying until the market was good enough for her to sell or we could buy, whichever came first and we have begun to call it home! It's amazing to me how life can be so hard for people and when it is so hard that we forget there might be others suffering as much or more. I have always tried to remember this and although I am now technically homeless, I have a healthy family, insurance, and food to keep us from the homeless shelters. I can't imagine how life would be if we didn't have that added security!

This post is not intended for anyone to feel sorry for us. It is simply to inform our family and friends of our current situation, however serious or nonserious it may seem to you, it is something that we have tried to prepare for, but when you get kicked while you're already down it feels like there isn't much you can do. There may be some of you thinking how you might help, at this point it's prayers, some boxes, prayers, even more boxes, prayers, a listening ear for a home to fit 7 people, and did I say prayers?
There are some silver linings I have discovered since, and hope to keep them in the forefront of my mind when negative and unhappy thoughts enter my mind.
1. Bryant will not be attending the school that I so much dislike!
2. We are all healthy (no pregnancy weirdness this time-yeah) and have insurance (previously mentioned).
3. We have experienced this before and we made it through...sorta
4. We will experience a new adventure unlike any others we've experienced-lol.

Thank you to all that have called or emailed with concern since my last post. We appreciate your concern and love on our behalf. It's not so fun to announce the seeming failures of a family, but I have determined that it just may be our lot in life to be poor and move every 6-18 months for the rest of our lives. I just hope our kids don't think they are "army brats" when their dad isn't even in the army!! We will keep you informed on our situation as time and optimism allows.

12 comments:

The JL McGregor Family said...

I'm sorry to hear your sad news.... how's the Idaho market? It is a great time to buy a first home... (You can rent or buy ours CHEAP in Ohio!)

I'm also trying to pack up. Moving is the pits.

Congrats on baby #5!

Kimberly said...

Sorry to hear about the house situation.. Yeah for baby! I can't believe you'll have 5! I'm feeling really old right now!

Anneka said...

First off, congrat on your pregnancy! What a wonderful thing! I'm sorry about all of the other stuff that you are going through. We have boxes that we saved from our move, plus a million diaper and wipe boxes. We can bring those over on Sunday or Monday, whenever you would like them. I wish I could help in some other way, but that's the best I've got to offer right now. We will miss you guys lots! We have loved getting to know you, but you will have a new adventure elsewhere :) Good luck!!!

Unknown said...

Congruatulations on the baby. So exciting. You're in our prayers.

gina said...

You guys will for sure be in my thoughts and prayers. I will keep my eyes open for some boxes. Please let me babysit your kids for a couple hours so you can pack or relax. Whatever you need, I'm here. G

melissa t. said...

Congrats on baby! Sorry about the crappy housing situation-that stinks big time. We are praying for ya that it will all work out!

Robins Fam said...

T! Congrats on the baby! That is so wonderful! This baby could not come to a better mother. (I'm sure the same is true for daddy and siblings, but I'm writing what I know here) I'm so sorry about your troubles. I know things will work out for you. I always try to remember that life isn't supposed to be easy. It can have some wonderful moments to boost you up, and the hard parts are to make us strong. It seems like others have it so easy at times, but just remember your own blessings. I know you are good at that! We will keep you in our prayers. Love you T!

nateandcole said...

Wow, 5 babies. You are one busy Mama. And then adding a move onto it. Sorry about the move. What poor timing. Hope you find a place you like just as well. I think marriages have different struggles, whether having enough kids, too many, financial, etc, and it's just learning how to deal with it. Good luck. And thanks for inviting me to your blog...

Tawna said...

Reading your post and the comments on your post really helped me. We've had some ups and downs trying to figure out things with houses and apartments, and what to do next. I've been really excited, happy, frustrated, confused, and discouraged at times. One minute I'm really suprised wondering "wow, I can't believe this," and then another minute I'm in shock asking, "Where did that side wind come from?" I admire your perspective. Congrats on the pregnancy. That is awesome! Chris and I are eager to "grow the family" if you know what I mean. Time and patience, I guess, right? Not all things happen how and when we want them to, right? Well, sometimes it's good to find out that writing a blog does more than just allowing us to express our thoughts, ideas, and activities...it can reach out and touch others. Thanks! Good luck with paving the road ahead!

T said...

You are in our prayers!

Lisa said...

Congratulations on baby #5!!! Wow, that is just so incredible! I'm sorry to hear about your housing situation and I hope that you are able to find a situation that is even better for you and your growing family. Can I send you some Belgian chocolate?? You'd be amazed at what it can do to ease pain. :)

Janna said...

Oh Terressa. Wow. I know from experience that when it rains it pours. Thankfully it's all followed with glorious flowers. I hope yours are fast coming. And mine too, for that matter. :) Good luck with number five! You must have the happiest bunch ever.