Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Baby Update...

Well, for anyone who cares, here's the scoop.
I went to the doctor this morning around 9:30 and did not leave until after 11:30am. It was a long morning. I am still 70% effaced and at a whopping 2! Holy cow! This girl is just not going to cooperate with my plans :)
In the meantime, the midwife looked at my blood glucose levels (I have to record those twice a day-1st in morning and bedtime). The numbers before bed should be under 120 and the numbers in the morning should be under 90. For the last two weeks my morning numbers have been really bad-between 100-120...so the next step was to visit with the doctor she practices with. Since it was not a scheduled appointment I got to spend the next 45 minutes reading magazines and waiting my turn to be seen by the doctor. He finally came in (good thing I was by myself-the kids would have been eating each other by this time) and looked at my numbers. Apparantly if you have more than two (I have 5-6) high numbers in a week you are put on insulin! Wahoo! (please note, the sarcasm). So, I got to choose if I wanted to act like a true diabetic and give myself insulin shots (no, thank you) or take a pill in the morning (yes, please). I then got to have a blood test and then since I have gestational diabetes and my numbers are high I get to have a non-invasive stress test on the baby, so I got to do that for 20 minutes this morning as well. The stress test is simple, I just sit there and they monitor the baby's movement and heartbeat consistency...luckily this morning we were just fine.
The midwife stated that she doubted I would do much this week as far as labor goes, so I scheduled an appointment for Monday afternoon and then I get to have another stress test. If I don't deliver by the 14th then I am scheduled to have an ultrasound for monitoring of baby size and fluid amount (I did this with Sarah and they knew she would be close to 10lbs. about a week before she was born). So, for now I get to keep doing what I'm doing (hopefully finish my school work by Saturday) and visit the doctor on Monday. I doubt you'll get another update before then, but hey-this baby is doing what she wants-taking after her dad in stubbornness. :)
I'll keep you all posted with any news that may (or may not) arise :)

3 comments:

www.thesinglelifeofastudentwife.blogspot.com said...

oh man...harsh news! Hopefully sooner than later. I can't believe they're letting you just keep sitting it out with the diabetes and high weight (of the baby) risk. Frustrating. I'll keep checking back for updates. Hang in there!

Hokie Family said...

Well it exciting that it's getting closer.
heather

Kami said...

Aren't non stress tests fun..I have to have them every 2 days after 34 weeks and an ultrasound too. What was fun was with Emma..she hardly moved so they would zap my stomach every time and that would giver her the hick-ups.

Hope you have your baby soon!