Friday, September 25, 2009

Four eyes...

When I was a kid I always thought it would be fun to have glasses and then I entered grade school where the kids somehow turn into some of the meanest kids...I then decided that it would be torture to have glasses and get the nickname "four eyes"...somehow that's the best kids can come up with and they think it's the most clever.

Upon taking Bryant to the eye doctor yesterday for his yearly eye exam he told the technichian that he has a hard time seeing when he's reading.
What??!?!
That is the first I've heard of this...when the tech. left the room I promptly asked Bryant if he was telling the truth and if he thought glasses were cool, to which he answered yes to both questions. I started into a rant that he had to tell the truth to the doctor or there would be serious concesquences if not. If he lied just to get glasses his eyes would be worse and his head would always hurt because he wouldn't be able to see with something he didn't need. He humbly agreed to which I inwardly cheered victory!

After the initial exam with the doctor he immediately stated that he had all the questions he had answered...I was puzzled. He said that Bryant really did have a difficulty seeing up close and would need bifocals-my heart fell and then I was embarassed with myself. My son will now be four eyes-which he will handle well, I'm sure and he will be wearing what OLD people wear (sorry to the elderly that read this)! The doctor calmed my inward fears of looking like an old, welfare child saying that the style Bryant would be getting would be an almost invisible line and that by getting them this early in life his eyes would train quickly and he should outgrow the need for bifocals/reading glasses.

After what was to be a simple exam, we picked out some super cute-excuse me, handsome-blue frames and spent $100 that wasn't initially in the budget. Good thing there's a two year warranty on the frames and lenses-he just better not lose them...

He should get them in a few weeks and I hope I can get a picture or two on here...he's going to be one handsome kid-even more so than he already is!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember wanting glasses when I was little. The first day I had bifocals I got a really nasty headache as my eyes got used to where to look and when. I'm sure he will look extreamly handsome in his glasses.

Joseph and Mary + Seven said...

Okay, you just answered my question from facebook. I was one of those kids that did have glasses, it wasn't that bad. It could be worse, he could have red hair and freckles!! :D I'm sure he will look super handsome!

Josh and Danielle said...

i always wanted glasses too!!! i thought they were so cool! bryant is going to look so handsome! he is going to be a young clark kent!!! hehehehe i cant wait to see them on his cute little face in OCT!!!!!

Janna said...

The first time (only, thankfully) I punched someone was in 4th grade, within the first week after I got my glasses. No one bugged me after that. True story. :)

devegnees said...

As someone who has to be wearing her glasses to be able to FIND her glasses (Try it sometime! That's one reason I have to have TWO pair! ) I have to say that having glasses makes you smarter, more responsible, and more humble! :D

I'm sure he'll look dashing!

PS Nobody ever called me four-eyes! I think it's too easy for kids. They like a challenge! :)

Julia said...

oh Terressa, I'm so sorry! I've had glasses since I was young and I'm constantly ranting at my kids, don't read in the dark, don't sit so close to the TV, etc... And they just think it's so cool. Good luck. I'm sure he'll look great. and good thing they have a warrenty!

www.thesinglelifeofastudentwife.blogspot.com said...

i had the same thing as a kid--with no line bifocals....and I out grew it...so there is hope! But in the mean time.. HE WILL BE SOOO CUTE!

Tina said...

That was me to as a kid, But I got mine and hated them and never put any glasses backn on!! Pretty sure I still need them though!