Wednesday, April 2, 2008

School!!?!?!!

The official announcement is here...
JAKE WILL BE GRADUATING on MAY 6TH
(with a pinning ceremony on the 5th)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations!!! We are so proud of our daddy and husband.

He has really endured a lot to get this part of education behind him.

He has also received a very, very generous job offer straight out of school!
As part of the LPN program this semester, the students were put on 3 week rotations at certain clinics and hospitals in and around Idaho Falls. During the last part of February and first part of March Jake was assigned to a location in downtown Idaho Falls that is similar to a "doc in the box" clinic.
The first day he came home from the rotation he looked happier than he had all semester with the rotations he was doing, I asked him why and all he could say is "I love it there". They were so nice and things actually happened that he could assist in or learn something from. After the second day he came home and was practically bouncing off the wall-imagine a 6'5" 300+lb. man dancing down stairs and hopping in a basement apartment with 7' ceilings...that would be Jake. I was laughing so hard I couldn't even ask what was up...he had gotten a job offer on the spot!
The nurse manager was so impressed with him she asked what his plans were after graduation-and with nothing really seriously permanant he told her he was still looking, she stated that she and the staff would really like to have him as part of their clinic.
Well, after totally impressing his advisor and then turning in a impressive resume, he has now received a full-time job offer to begin basically the week he graduates! The best part about it, they offered to pay about $4-$5/hr. more than an average beginner LPN job with full benefits and additional paid training to achieve credetials only RN's usually can put on their resume's! AWESOME!!!!!!!
I am so excited for Jake to start a part of his life that he enjoys even more than now (come on, who really likes school without an ulterior motive?-ok, don't answer that).

With all my excitement for Jake I have recently realized (with the help of a letter from the State Board of Education), that I must take 6 credits by September 1st to keep my teaching certificate up-to-date. If not, then I will have to take 32 credits and take all the state exams again to be a "valid" teacher in the state of Idaho. So, with fire under my butt, I have applied to BYU-Idaho as a non-traditional student so as to take 6 credits and stay a "valid" teacher---after weighing all options I really think that will be a lot cheaper and less stressful than taking 32 credits down the road!
I received my "acceptance" letter today and will be taking classes from April 21st through July 19th (yeah, I know crazy! with a baby due only days after that...) but what do you do besides wish you would've been smart enough to take one class here and there since graduating 5 years ago!!! I guess that means I learned my lesson...I think I will be taking a class every semester so that when the next 5 years pass as quickly as these last 5 did, I can just turn in the paper and not worry about the actual classes...

So, Jake graduates and I start school again, what a combo we make!
But oh, so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!
HORRAY JACOB (and good luck me, HA)!!!

9 comments:

G-man said...

Way to go Jakey!

Finish strong lad.

...and Theressa, I am subbing whenever I get a chance, in order to keep my licensure from expiring. You are smart to keep yours current.

The JL McGregor Family said...

Congrats to your family. And I just read that you have to take 6 credits...I think we graduated the same year, and I'm pretty sure I have until Sept. 2009, so double check your certificate. I better check mine, too, in case I am wrong, but I'm really hoping you are the mistaken one!

Nikki said...

6 credits? Lucky you! Thanks for reminding me what I have to look forward to if I don't find a teaching job! Congrats on Jake's job and all the fun excitement...you just never slow down!

JT42 said...

jen, i looked up on my letter again, hoping you would bring some some good news, but my letter states 2008-did you get something in the mail in january-it's also per state...i wish i had until 2009 :) good to hear from you by the way.

nikki,
didn't you get the job at the new high school? no worries for you if you did! slow is not in our vocabulary by the way :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, you guys are definitely living a busy life. But if anyone can do it, you guys can. Congrats to Jake on his new job and good luck to you with your classes.

Kelli France said...

That is oh, so FABULOUS!! I know Jake will be SOOOOO good at what he does and good for you for going back to keep up your certificate. You are a brave soul but I know you can do it!

Tina said...

Oh I am sorry for more school! But that is Awesome for Jake, do you think you will move to I.F then? I guess you still have school to think about moving!! Yeah hooo! That is what scars me, when Eriks done its hard to just start up a chiropractic office, I soooo hope that we get something lined up before he is done!! We still have a ways to go! CONGRATS!! oh I wish there was a Deseret book close it is about3 min. from here!! And CUTE background!

Lisa said...

Congratulations!! So many fun things in store! You are basically amazing that you can take classes right now - my brain is totally mush...those darn kids... :)

The JL McGregor Family said...

No, I didn't get a letter. It's on my Idaho teaching certificate. When did you graduate?