Thursday, May 15, 2008

Surgery, Again?

Well, I've decided this will be the most stressful and expensive year so far in our marriage! Since this is something that I will publish at a later date I will go into a little more detail than just an update.
Bryant and Sarah had their tonsils and adnoids out this morning. Not really a big deal, one of those things that should make life better in the long run, but to see your children become a part of this side of the world is difficult. They've been to the ER before, but never been admitted as a patient. Jake has worked at the hospital for almost 6 years now, so the kids are no strangers to the hospital or it's surroundings, however being on the "other side" I think opened their eyes a little more.
We arrived at 7am and were quickly preparing for surgery. The policy is to have the youngest have surgery first and then if there is a sibling with them they are immediately to follow. So Sarah was to be first (Bryant did not like the idea that she could be before him, but it all worked out).
We had to put some cream on their hands to numb them for the IV, Bryant did pretty good for having a needle put into his hand, but was not at all happy that he could feel it for the first few seconds. Sarah was put on some medications so as not to be bothered as much with the procedure, she is not really a fan of people paying attention to her or touching her for that matter. She was so oblivious to the 2 nurses and the anesthesiologist around her, it was actually pretty good.
Sarah did really well in surgery. The doctor came back and informed us that her tonsils were not only swollen and scarred, but that her tonsils looked like a 40 year olds, I don't exactly know what he meant besides the fact that her tonsils looked like they had been through as much "sickness" as a 40 year would have. He also stated that her adnoids were blocking 80% of her airway, which totally explains the snoring, sleep apnea and troubled sleep for the past year!
Bryant also did well in surgery. We were informed that Bryant also had some major damage to his tonsils and that his adnoids were blocking about the same as Sarah.
Jake and I were immediately grateful that we had followed through with the decision to have their tonsils out on the same day!
Bryant had his "sleepy" medicine through his IV and while he was being taken back to surgery kept sitting up on the bed and looking over at the wheels-this kid loves anything that has a motor and any sort of wheels! Apparantly the bed was in this category today :) The nurse told us that Bryant was so funny before surgery-thanks to the meds. They had to wait for Sarah to be out of the room, so the nurse took him close to the whiteboard and asked him to draw a picture-he was so excited he was drawing a volcano with a train track and a truck and they were getting the police, Bryant narrating his version of the art as he drew. The nurse was told that the room was ready twice and both times told them that storytime wasn't over yet. You have to understand that Bryant is quite the story-teller anyway, so this was hilarious!!
The nurses were so good for the kids. Bryant was quite emotional coming out of the surgery and drugs, but slept it off and pretty much was back to his normal bossy self by 4pm and checked out a half hour after that.
Sarah was so tired after surgery, although wanting to be awake, she was so frustrated. She finally fell asleep and stopped messing with her IV after about a half hour. She slept for a very short time and then woke up to Sesame Street-at first we thought she was just waking up and a little groggy, but we soon realized that she was in la-la land and didn't really know what was going on-as much as it seemed she wanted to. She stayed awake for 3-4 hours and was the bossy Sarah we are used to albeit drugged up. It was so funny how she would boss the nurses-they were good sports and just laughed.
The best part of the day was when Sarah realized Bryant was in the room with her and wanted to climb up on his bed with him. She gave him the biggest hug and kept asking him what happened. It was so cute, brought tears to my eyes. I feel so bad as a parent to make them go through pain, but I would rather them experience a little of this pain to make their lives so much better-especially after what the doctors have found. Bryant and Sarah are such good kids and both love life so much that it will be fun to share life with them without them losing thier breath and getting so tired as quickly!
I am still sitting here in the hospital with Sarah, she has been losing oxygen when we carry her or just hold her on our lap, so I am watching to make sure she is doing better before I leave-and she is finally sleeping soundly.
The doctor predicts that Sarah should be up and feeling alot better by about Saturday and that Bryant will be doing well about Sunday. I sure hope so because Bryant has preschool graduation on Monday-stay tuned for that story and those pictures next week!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! How did you know they both needed surgery? I bet it has been hard to see them go through this but at the same time it's nice to know they will be feeling much better in the future. I hope they start feeling better soon.

Tina said...

Oh wow, they are brave- thats crazy how much air they weren't getting. Im glad it went so good and I hope they are feeling up to par soon!

Lisa said...

You are such a busy busy woman!! I am always amazed at the amount of "big events" going on at your house! I'm glad to hear things went so well for your kids...hope the recovery continues to go smoothly!

Kami said...

Wow..that must of been fun :( I know how you feel...it is so scary when your kid goes into surgery. Joey had to have his tonsils and adnoids out when he was 1. His tonsils were a size 4+ which the doctor said is one size smaller than what adults can breathe with. I hated every minute of it..I still remember the look on his face as they were taking him away and him yelling mommy, no! You were very brave to go through 2 kids at once..I hope they are doing better now!

Kelli France said...

Oh, goodness, what a day! I am glad that it will help them in the long run though!