Friday, September 14, 2007

We survived

One more check in has come to a close as we moved 260 boys in on Saturday, Monday and Tuesday and the rest of the week has been catch up! Every semester I vow I will not go through another one for all the stress it causes me physically and emotionally and how it affects the family, but here I am doing it once again!
Truly though, I really learn to love and care for the guys that live here and want to see them succeed and move on with life. It's fun to get to know them!
My sister came to help us with the kids while Jake was in school all day and I was locked in the office all day - what a blessing family can be. It's interesting how small the world can seem with such a diverse community coming together. There were quite a few young men who knew my sister and that just made it that much easier to get through check ins! I made it! In 13 weeks I will be checking them all out, another thing I vow I will never do again every semester :)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Terressa - In response to your potty training question...I have only potty trained 2 kids, so I have used 2 different potty training techniques. With my oldest, Brayden, I took him to the dollar store (which he loves) and let him pick out 6-7 toys. Then I made a sticker chart for him and told him that every time he got 10 stickers (which was about the end of every day) he could choose one of his dollar store toys. He got 1 sticker for sitting, and 2 for going, so it was in his best interest to actually pee in the potty. He was so excited to get stickers on his chart so he could earn his toys that it motivated him. By the time his toys were gone (6-7 days) he was totally potty trained. That didn't work for Landon. :) I gave him 1 M&M for sitting, 2 for going, and a candy necklace for the dreaded #2. He wanted the candy so bad that he caught on extremely quickly. I also gave Brayden M&Ms if Landon went so that Brayden would motivate (and remind) Landon to go. Hope that helps!!! It's fun to hear from you! :) Your kiddies are so cute!

Kelli France said...

Good for you! I guess Melissa is Mark's (Matt's brother) apt. supervisor. Small world.

G-man said...

Hang in there lady. This WILL pay off. It's good to hear you're done though.

Don't take your eyes off the prize.

Love you guys,

Greg

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you survived another check in. I bet you dread the beginning and end of each semester. I hope this semester is eventless for you...no more TV thiefs :).