Well Kerrie, thanks for the post, but I spoke too soon when I said I survived. The last week has been full of enough events that I just pray the law doesn't have to become involved this semester.
Freshman Academy is over, but some of those kids returned...one in particular had left his things in his previous apartment and when he checked in was assigned to the apartment next door, so one of the resident assistant's (RA's) unlocked the door to let him move his things, no thought beyond that.
Well, four days later I caught wind that this gentleman was getting into that apartment often and using it...so of course I investigated. Well, he had left his things there and was using that apartment to eat, shower and dress...all he did in his assigned apartment was veg and sleep. He had unlocked all the windows and kept the door unlocked for his convenience. He had clothes strewn around the entire apartment, I mean it looked like a tornado had come through. Not only that, but all the mattresses and desks and kitchen chairs and even the VCR were missing...and where could they be, but in the apartment next door!!!! AGHH! So, I locked the door and windows and opened all the blinds and sealed that aparmtent, so he would have to come ask to get in because he wasn't home when I needed to talk to him.
Well, it took me 24 hours to get a hold of him, after an RA called and told me he had spent 20 minutes breaking into the apartment. I marched right over and found the door locked, well I was prepared with keys and yelled in to announce myself and heard water running, he was just about to get into the shower...I sternly instructed him to get dressed and come into the front room. The look on his face is somewhat comical in hindsight, he was caught, and he was so scared he was shaking in his pants! I mentioned that if I would have called the police he would have been cited for trespassing, theft, breaking and entering and squatting...needless to say, he had all his things moved and all others returned in less than two hours!
Whoa the mentality on some of these 18-year old freshman! Again, I vow that I will teach my children some common sense and if they decide not to use it, they will be on their own to learn it the hard way!
To top off the night, I got another call from a different RA stating that some kids on the 3rd floor were throwing desk chairs and trash out their window to "impress the girls across the way". Well, I was already fired up about the breaking and entering, so they were in for a treat. A quick lesson on respect was learned in two minutes flat with quick trash pick up all around the property at 11pm at night!
I just wish both of these events wouldn't have happened on a Friday night while Jake was at work, but I proved to myself and my residents that I can handle anything and don't have to call in Big Jake to scare these kids, hehehe. Who would have thought a 5' 4" woman that hates confrontation would be the one to lay the law and demand respect and still earn the respect and friendship of these kids? I never would have! I have learned so much moving to the men's property. I think I let myself be passive at the women's properties, but moving here has taught me to be aggressive and still maintain my reputation. That doesn't mean I like these events, I just pray that is all this semester has to offer when it comes to events (something deep down says it's only the beginning)...keep checking back for updates :)
5 years ago













5 comments:
man i'm glad i just have to deal with my own kids! you crack me up! I'm glad you have a blog too!!!!
Wow, you have to deal with some crazy things! Sound like you handled it well.
I think a mission is the best thing a 19 year old boy can do for himself. It's amazing how much they grow up in those two years.
Believe it or not, you are probably a whole lot scarier to these hooligans than Big Jake. With you, they are dealing with an angry female. Which is scary and unpredictable (at least to males). If you throw Big Jake into the picture, they'll just try and chum up or be extremely disrespectful, because he is another male.
Speaking from experience, sometimes a mission is the worst thing a 19 year old boy can do for himself.
Increase of love.
LOL. Seeing your side of it G-man I can agree. I guess it is tougher to take it from a female! Haha
And you thought you wouldn't use your degree...talk about a more advanced classroom, sounds like my second hour fitness class! :)
Post a Comment